Sunday, February 24, 2013

Changed Thinking -- and Stuffed Tomato Recipe

Today is day number 7 for us in the daily challenge. It was day number 21 for the leader of our praise band. We both decided that going through the daniel challenge changes your thinking. We both have decided that even when the Daniel Challenge ends, we won't go back to eating like we used to.   We just feel better not eating so much fat and sugar (I can't believe I am saying that since I love sugar!!)   I am not saying that I am ready to  become vegetarian or to stop eating sweets...but I think I will use much smaller quantities and eat more vegetables and fruit.

Some have wondered where we get recipes and I get them from a variety of sources.  Today I want to share a great recipe that I got from a book Greg is using called The Complete Scarsdale Medical Diet.  Greg is using that for his Daniel Challenge and using the vegetable diet for the Daniel Challenge.   Here is a recipe we both really liked:

Stuffed Tomato

2 large tomatoes
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup shredded American or cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Cut 1/2 inch off the tops of each tomato.  Scoop out some of the tomato pulp, leaving about a 3/4 inch thick shell.   Mix other ingredients together and pack lightly into tomato shells , saving a little cheese to sprinkle on top of each stuffed tomato.   Place in small baking dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes in preheated 350 degree oven, or until piping hot.   Do not overcook.

Serves 2.

Other stuffings may be used, as follows:

#1
1/4 cup cooked rice; 1/2 medium pepper, chopped; 4 large mushrooms, sliced and sauteed; 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or other cheese).

#2
1/2 cup cooked or canned corn; chopped tomato pulp; 1/2 medium pepper, chopped; 1/2 chopped pimiento.

#3
Cottage cheese and chopped nuts, topped with minced parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment